The Patriot Institute of Journalism and Arts (PIJA), Lance Magazine is a public-centric independent media organisation dedicated to fighting injustice, fostering social justice and community development through the telling and retelling of the marginalised-oriented stories.
Media Party and ICFJ Invite Journalists, Professionals To AI Workshops
Applications are now open for journalists, developers, entrepreneurs and civic hackers to lead sessions at the first-ever U.S.-based Media Party, in Chicago from June 8-10.
For more than a decade, Media Party has brought together journalists and technologists across Latin America to facilitate media innovation. This year’s conference is taking place in the U.S. for the first time, and will focus on the intersection of AI, journalism and democracy.
The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) is partnering with Media Party through its Leap initiative, a news innovation lab that provides guided, focused experiences for news teams and technologists to explore, design and develop solutions that address specific problems. As a main sponsor, ICFJ is helping identify speakers and trainers for a conference agenda focused on generative AI, AI ethics, AI security and privacy. Alongside that focus, attendees will also explore wider issues in journalism, such as the evolving local news ecosystem, misinformation, climate change, product thinking and mental health in a post-pandemic world.
The organisers said they are looking for speakers and partners from a wide range of backgrounds according to the following:
- News media professionals who are using or building AI tools
- Technologists with an interest in solving problems relevant to the media industry and how these technologies impact democracy
- People doing research and experiments in journalism, civil society and academia
- Individuals from tech platforms working on artificial intelligence issues who are interested in improving how societies are informed
- Serendipity: Media Party is keen to open the door to new people of all kinds with related interests.
The deadline for workshops and lightning talk proposals is March 31, 2023.